With the official start of Porch Sitting Season and warm weather everywhere, we’ve gathered our best tips for creating a dream outdoor sitting area. Click through to see some of our favorite outdoor living designs from the HHC Living portfolio, and get motivated to style your own front porch.
Ready to step out onto the front porch, patio, or deck of your Pinterest dreams? Here are some guidelines to consider:
1. Define the space. Utilize outdoor rugs and sitting areas to clearly designate different areas within the patio.
2. Never underestimate the amount of nature you can add to, well, nature. Bring in plants of all shapes and sizes with beautiful pots and holders for each one. Tend to your landscape, incorporate an herb garden, grow veggies, or plant flowers.
3. Check the weather. Know the rain-to-sun ratio of your neighborhood and select weather friendly furniture and decor. If your porch doesn’t have a ceiling, utilize umbrellas or retractable patio covers to stay dry during spring months.
4. Consider your guests. Will you be hosting many elderly relatives for family gatherings? Ensure they have plenty of shaded areas to stay cool in. Is your backyard a designated kid’s zone? Pick out shatter-proof tabletop items and plenty of ground level seating.
5. Let your patio be another room. Design outdoor spaces as though they are an additional living room within a house floor plan and apply the same rules. Pick comfy furniture, color schemes you enjoy, playful decor items and lovely accessories, and plenty of storage.
6. Get bold! With color, that is. Designing a beautiful outdoor space for your home is the perfect option to go wild with bright colors you may not ordinarily use inside. Think pink, lime, teal, and fun patterns like palm print or polka dots.
7. Know thyself. Are you seeking a sanctuary to read and relax on? Install a porch swing just big enough for one in a designated quiet corner of the porch. If your family loves to watch Sunday games together, put in a TV with a great sound system. Love to cook? Build your dream kitchen and then put it in your backyard! Need activities? Pop in some custom made swings, a pool table, personalized corn hole boards, or a volleyball net.
8. Use it! Once you’ve put in the time and effort of making your perfect porch for Spring 2019, enjoy it as many days as you can.
Now if you’ll excuse us, it’s time to pour some sweet tea and take in a sunset. Cheers!
All photos are property of HHC Living and may not be used in any way, altered or as-is, without written permission.